- ProductsProductsPI Ceramic offers a large number of standard products and solutions based on piezo technology. This includes piezoceramic components and elements as well as piezoelectric actuators.
- Piezoceramic ComponentsPiezoceramic ComponentsPI Ceramic manufactures a wide range of piezoceramic components in various shapes and sizes according to your needs – also with contacting or in miniature format.
- Piezoceramic ActuatorsPiezoceramic ActuatorsPI Ceramic offers a large number of piezoelectric actuators for applications in industry and research.
- PICMA® Piezo Linear ActuatorsPICMA® Piezo Linear ActuatorsThe compact PICMA® multilayer actuators feature linear deflections with low control voltages and, in the chip version, generate highly dynamic movements.
- PICMA® Piezo Bender ActuatorsPICMA® Piezo Bender ActuatorsMultilayer bending actuators: large displacement and high dynamics. Their bimorph structure ensures bidirectional displacement.
- PICA Piezoelectric Stack ActuatorsPICA Piezoelectric Stack ActuatorsStacked piezo linear actuators with operating voltages to 1000 V: High reliability, large specific displacement and high forces.
- PICA Shear ActuatorsPICA Shear ActuatorsMulti-axis and shear actuators in stacked design offer excellent dynamics combined with minimum electrical power requirements.
- DuraAct Patch TransducersDuraAct Patch TransducersDuraAct patch transducers convert electrical voltage into mechanical energy and vice versa; as actuator, sensor or as energy generator.
- Picoactuator® Piezoelectric CrystalPicoactuator® Piezoelectric CrystalThe motion of the Picoactuator® piezo crystals is highly linear and almost hysteresis-free and consequently suited for high-dynamics applications.
- Tube ActuatorsPiezo Tube ActuatorsRadially and axially contracting piezo tubes are often used for creating dynamic scanning motions and as fiber stretchers.
- PICMA® Piezo Linear Actuators
- Smart Interface: Piezo Components with Flexible Printed Circuit BoardsSmart Interface: Piezo Components with Flexible Printed Circuit BoardsIt is time-consuming and risky to provide piezo components with strands and to contact them on printed circuit boards yourself. PI Ceramic takes on this step for customers and supplies piezoceramic components with flexible printed circuit boards.
- Piezo Controllers & DriversPiezo Controllers & DriversControl electronics plays a key role in the performance of piezoelectric actuators. In addition to universal control electronics, highly suitable for most fields of application, PI offers a wide range of piezo amplifiers geared towards particular purposes.
- For PICMA® Stack/Chip Multilayer ActuatorsDrivers and Controllers for PICMA® Stack/Chip Multilayer ActuatorsAmplifiers with high output current allow dynamic operation of the actuators and precise positioning while requiring low power.
- For PICMA® Bender Multilayer ActuatorsDrivers and Controllers for PICMA® Bender Multilayer ActuatorsPiezo amplifiers for PICMA® Bender Actuators offer fixed and variable output voltages of up to 60 V for differential control.
- For PICA Stack/Power/Thru ActuatorsDrivers and Controllers for PICA Stack/Power/Thru ActuatorsPiezo amplifiers for PICA Actuators offer a voltage range of up to 1100 V, which is available as unipolar or bipolar voltage. Amplifiers with high output current allow dynamic operation of the actuators and precise positioning while requiring low power.
- For PICA Shear ActuatorsDrivers and Controllers for PICA Shear ActuatorsPiezo amplifiers for PICA Shear Actuators offer a bipolar output voltage of ±250 V.
- For DuraAct ActuatorsDrivers and Controllers for DuraAct ActuatorsDuraAct Actuators require different operating voltage ranges, depending on the integrated ceramic.
- For Picoactuator® ActuatorsDrivers and Controllers for Picoactuator® ActuatorsPicoactuator® actuators are operated with a bipolar voltage of ±500 V. The output voltage range of the PICA amplifiers can be set accordingly to suit this purpose. For smaller displacements, it is possible to use amplifiers for PICA Shear actuators of ±250 V.
- For Piezo TubesAmplifiers and Controllers for Piezo TubesPiezo amplifiers for Piezo Tubes are ideal for the control of segmented piezo scanner tubes and can be operated with a bipolar voltage.
- For Energy HarvestingElectronics for Energy HarvestingE-821 uses pulsed or continuous excitation for Energy Generation by means of piezo actuators.
- For PICMA® Stack/Chip Multilayer Actuators
- Piezoceramic MaterialsPiezoceramic MaterialsPI Ceramic offers a variety of different piezoelectric materials including lead-free materials.
- Miniaturized Piezo CeramicsMiniaturized Piezo CeramicsThanks to their compact design, miniaturized piezo components are ideally suited for the generation and detection of vibrations in the smallest of areas.
- DisksDisksOuter diameter OD: To 1 mm; Thickness TH: To 0.1 mm (20 µm tolerance is possible); Material: PIC151, PIC255, PIC181
- PlatesPlatesLength L: 1 to 60 mm; Width W: 1 to 60 mm; Thickness TH: To 0.1 mm (20 µm tolerance is possible)
- RingsRingsOuter diameter OD: To 1 mm; Inner diameter ID: To 0.2 mm; Thickness TH: To 0.15 mm (20 µm tolerance is possible)
- TubesTubesOuter diameter OD [mm]: 0.45 to 1.5; Inner diameter ID [mm]: 0.2 to 0.9; Length L [mm]: Max. 4 mm (OD < 1 mm), on request from ID 1 mm, length to 30 mm
- Half and Hollow SpheresHalf and Hollow SpheresOuter diameter OD: To 2 mm; Thickness TH: To 0.2 mm; Material: PIC151, PIC255, PIC181
- Shear ElementsShear ElementsLength L: To 2 mm; Width W: To 1 mm; Thickness TH: 0.2 (20 µm tolerance is possible)
- Bending ElementsBending ElementsLength L: e.g. 3 mm, width W: e.g., 1 mm; Width W: 1 mm; Thickness TH: 0.4 mm ± 0.05 mm
- Special Shape HexagonsSpecial Shape HexagonsLength L: From 3 mm; Width W: From 3 mm; Thickness TH: 0.1 mm (20 µm tolerance is possible)
- Special Shape (Shear) ConesSpecial Shape (Shear) ConesOuter diameter OD: From 3 mm; Inner diameter ID: From 1 mm; Thickness TH: 1.5 mm
- Chip Actuators (PL022.3x)Chip Actuators (PL022.3x)Side length (A): 2 ± 0.1 mm; Side length (B): 2 ± 0.1 mm; Thickness TH: 2 ± 0.1 mm
- Piezoceramic Components
- OEMOEM Solutions for Piezo Ceramics from PI CeramicPI Ceramic offers customized OEM solutions for piezo ceramics at the highest technological level and economically optimized.
- The PI Ceramic Tech CenterThe PI Ceramic Tech CenterFrom small series production to new production technologies: the PI Ceramic Tech Center supports you in the fast qualification of your project-specific samples.
- The PI Ceramic Tech Center
- ApplicationsApplications and Markets for Piezo TechnologyPiezo technology is used in different applications in medical technology, mechanical and automotive engineering or in semiconductor technology.
- Ultrasonic Measurement TechnologyUltrasonic Measurement TechnologyUltrasonic sensors emit high-frequency sound pulses and receive signals reflected from objects. The time the echo signals take to arrive is processed electronically and can be used for a wide range of applications in metrology.
- Noncontact Measurement with Air UltrasoundNoncontact Measurement with Air UltrasoundThe most widely used principle of ultrasonic level measurement is based on the propagation time measurement of air ultrasound pulse.
- Noncontact Flow MeteringNoncontact Flow MeteringThe propagation time metering the so-called Doppler principle are the two fundamental measurement processes in noncontact ultrasonic flow rate measurement.
- Noncontact Measurement with Air Ultrasound
- High-Power UltrasoundHigh-Power UltrasoundPiezoceramics can be used to generate ultrasonic waves in the frequency range of power ultrasound (20 to 800 kHz). They can be used in different diagnostic and therapeutic applications, for example in tartar removal or lithotripsy, but also in ultrasonic technology.
- Industrial Ultrasonic CleaningIndustrial Ultrasonic CleaningUltrasonic cleaning can be used to remove dirt particles in the nanometer range, without damaging sensitive surfaces by a too high pressure.
- Ultrasonic PiezomotorsUltrasonic PiezomotorsAn integral part of the PILine® ultrasonic piezomotors is a piezoceramic actuator that is pretensioned against a movably guided runner via a coupling element.
- Sonar Technology and HydroacousticsSonar Technology and HydroacousticsPiezoceramic components are used in sonar technology and hydroacoustic systems, for measuring and position-finding tasks.
- Industrial Ultrasonic Cleaning
- Force MeasurementForce MeasurementPiezo discs the centerpiece of force/acceleration sensors.
- Scientific InstrumentationScientific InstrumentationPiezo components have become firmly established in modern science as drives and ultrasonic transducers. They work reliably even under extreme conditions such as magnetic fields, cryogenic temperatures or ultrahigh vacuum.
- Mineralogical Analyses in NASA's Mars RoverMineralogical Analyses in NASA's Mars RoverNASA relies on PICMA® Multilayer Actuators from PI Ceramic.
- Cryogenic Applications in the German Electron Synchrotron (DESY)Cryogenic Applications in the German Electron Synchrotron (DESY)Dynamic Compensation of Lorentz Forces at the Accelerator Elements in Cryogenic Environments.
- Scanning Probe MicroscopyScanning Probe MicroscopyScanning probe microscopy benefits from piezo technology: Piezo tube actuators position highly dynamically over a lateral range of up to ±35 µm.
- Mineralogical Analyses in NASA's Mars Rover
- Precision DosingPrecision DosingPiezo elements pump and meter small liquid or gas volumes reliably and precisely in the range of a few hundred milliliters to a few nanoliters. The piezo elements can be adapted to each application environment.
- Metering with Piezo ValvesMetering with Piezo ValvesPiezo valves are highly suitable for dosing tasks: They can switch directly, and can also work against a closing spring.
- Metering with Piezo Valves
- Medical TechnologyMedical TechnologyPiezo components for medical technology and related life science disciplines must be fast, reliable and energy-efficient. In miniaturized form, they enable minimally invasive and highly precise diagnostic as well as therapeutic methods.
- Therapeutic Ultrasound with Piezo ComponentsTherapeutic Ultrasound with Piezo ComponentsTherapeutic ultrasound is used as a core element in applications such as tissue ablation, targeted drug delivery, or lithotripsy.
- Miniaturized Piezo Tubes in FSEMiniaturized Piezo Tubes in High-Resolution Fiber Scanning EndoscopyWith their fast deflection and control, miniaturized piezo tubes generate a scanning movement of the optical fiber in fiber scanning endoscopes (FSE), thus providing more image information and improved minimally invasive procedures in everyday clinical practice.
- Nebulizers with Piezo RingsNebulizers with Piezo RingsSpecially shaped piezo discs act as ultrasonic transducers in nebulizers, generating particularly homogeneous aerosols with high-frequency oscillations.
- Piezo Valves in BiotechnologyPiezo Valves in BiotechnologyPiezo-driven valves enable precise dosing in the nanolitre range, for example for drug screening or researching active agents.
- Piezoelectric MicropumpsPiezoelectric MicropumpsPiezoelectric micropumps are used in laboratory technology, medical technology, biotechnology, chemical analytics and process engineering.
- Piezo Actuators in Medical ImplantsPiezo Actuators in Medical ImplantsSystems implanted in the body such as dosing pumps for insulin or hearing aids are almost invisible and improve the quality of life of patients significantly. They are driven by ultra-compact and energy-efficient miniaturized piezo actuators.
- Therapeutic Ultrasound with Piezo Components
- Energy-Autarkic SystemsEnergy-Autarkic Systems with Piezo ElementsDuraAct patch transducers use kinetic energy for the electrical supply of energy-autarkic systems and can be applied in structural health or condition monitoring.
- Ultrasonic Measurement Technology
- TechnologyPI Ceramic Piezo TechnologyPI Ceramic offers extensive know-how and a wealth of experience in the manufacturing of assembled piezo-ceramic components and sub-systems.
- Fundamentals of Piezo TechnologyFundamentals of Piezo TechnologyPhysical basics and explanations of piezo electricity and electromechanics.
- Properties of Piezo ActuatorsProperties of Piezo ActuatorsCharacteristics of piezoceramic actuators: Displacement modes, forces and stiffnesses, dynamics. Ambient conditions.
- Displacement BehaviorDisplacement BehaviorOn this site you will find information about the displacement behaviour of piezo ceramics.
- Displacement Modes of Piezoelectric ActuatorsDisplacement Modes of Piezoelectric ActuatorsOn this site you will learn more about the different displacement modes of piezo ceramics.
- Temperature DependenceTemperature DependenceThe displacement and dimension of a piezo ceramic is temperature dependant. Learn more about this topic on this site.
- Forces and StiffnessForces and StiffnessForce and stiffness are important properties of piezo actuators. Find out more on this topic here.
- Dynamic OperationDynamic OperationLearn more on the topics of resonant frequency, dynamic forces and response behaviour.
- Electrical Operation of Piezo ActuatorsElectrical Operation of Piezo ActuatorsLearn more on the topics of operating voltage, electrical behaviour and operating modes.
- Ambient ConditionsAmbient ConditionsPiezo actuators are suitable for operation in very different, sometimes extreme ambient conditions. Learn more about this topic on this site.
- Displacement Behavior
- Generating UltrasoundGenerating Ultrasound with Piezo ComponentsPiezo components use the piezoelectric effect to generate and detect ultrasonic waves, e.g. by means of runtime measuring or the principle of the Doppler effect.
- Developing Customized TransducersDeveloping Customized TransducersIn addition to piezo components, PI Ceramic also supplies complete transducers, which are developed together with you according to your application specifications.
- Developing Customized Transducers
- Manufacturing TechnologyManufacturing TechnologyPI Ceramic offers a wide range of manufacturing technologies: Pressing or tape technology, assembling technology and testing procedures.
- PICMA® TechnologyPICMA® TechnologyHighly reliable and extended lifetime through the patented manufacturing process for multilayer actuators.
- DuraAct Patch Transducer TechnologyDuraAct Patch Transducer TechnologyManufacture, functional principle and typical working parameters of DuraAct patch transducers explain the possible force generation and deflection.
- Fundamentals of Piezo Technology
- ServiceServiceIn the service area you can contact us, search and download documents and use our technical glossary.
- DownloadsDownloadsIn the download section you will find product documentation, broschures, sucess stories and whitepapers.
- Product DocumentationProduct DocumentationDownload user manuals, technical notes or datasheets.
- Catalogs, Brochures & CertificatesCatalogs, Brochures & CertificatesDownload the newest PDF files or request printed catalogs and brochures by mail.
- Whitepapers & Success StoriesWhitepapers & Success StoriesDownload whitepapers and success stories and learn more about our products.
- Product Documentation
- Ask an Engineer!Ask an Engineer!Quickly receive an answer to your question by email or phone from a local PI Ceramic sales engineer.
- PI Glossary for Technical TermsPI Glossary for Technical TermsIn the glossary you will find explanations of the different terms used on the website.
- News & Events
- CompanyCompany PI Ceramic GmbHPI Ceramic, a subsidiary of Physik Instrumente (PI) GmbH & Co. KG, is located in the city of Lederhose, Thuringia, Germany.
- How to Get to PI Ceramic!How to Get to PI Ceramic!Here you will find adress data and directions to PI Ceramic.
- About PI GroupAbout PI GroupNo other company in the world offers a broader and deeper portfolio of precision motion technologies than the PI Group. Continuous growth through the development of novel products and technologies is one of the main characteristics of the PI Group.
- ReferencesReferencesOn this site you will find external publications from industry and research.
- Legal InformationLegal InformationOn this site you will find legal Information about PI Ceramic
- How to Get to PI Ceramic!
- CareersCareersStart a career at PI Ceramic. Be part of our team!
- Jobs at PI CeramicJobs at PI CeramicPI offers sound training in technical and business careers with a future. Pupils, students, graduates and professionals can get involved at PI and will be supported by us in their professional and personal further development.
- Experienced and Young ProfessionalsExperienced and Young ProfessionalsPI Ceramic offers interesting positions for graduates and professionals. You can expect a good working environment as well as personal and professional advancement!
- StudentsStudentsPI offers interesting activities to also give students insights into a professional career. You can gain practical experience during your studies.
- Training, Dual Curriculum Education, and InternshipsTraining, Dual Curriculum Education, and InternshipsSkilled employees are a crucial asset – which explains why we have been training specialists in technical and commercial professions for many years now. At two locations in Germany, PI offers apprenticeship positions as well as a dual study program for applicants who have acquired a secondary school leaving certificate or a qualification for entrance to a technical college or to university.
- About PI Ceramic as an EmployerAbout PI Ceramic as an EmployerGet more information about PI Ceramic's social services and application process!
- Candidate Login PI CeramicCandidate Login PI CeramicLog into your account to get information on the status of your application.
- Jobs at PI Ceramic
- BlogBlogFind news on products, technologies and applications, and information on trade fairs and other events.
- PI StorePI StoreBuy piezo actuators and piezoceramic components online: The PI Store is available 24/7 and offers prices as well as delivery times without having to log in.
- 0Quote list
All Production Processes under One Roof
The processes in assembling technology range from gluing and joining of the ceramic disks to mechanical finishing, such as lapping and grinding for minimal geometric tolerances, through to soldering of contacts. No matter whether individual piezo elements are processed further or whether complete actuator modules need to be manufactured – PI Ceramic has the necessary know-how to realize customized adaptations in the shortest of times and highest quality.
An individual piezo element can – when glued to a membrane or metal disk – be used for sensor or pump applications. Gluing of the piezo component is a critical stage in the process with a decisive effect on the properties of the final product, such as overall resonant frequency and stability.
In serial production, the joining and gluing processes are performed with fully automated equipment. Specially developed dosing and positioning systems are employed for complex special designs to ensure an even and high quality layer of adhesive. The selection of adhesive and the curing conditions are optimized for the respective product and its material properties.
Gluing Piezo Elements to Stack Actuators
Several piezo ceramic elements, such as disks or plates, are stacked and glued to stack actuators for a greater displacement. These are then fitted with contact electrodes and an outer insulation layer of polymer material.
Standard contacts for piezo actuators are 100 mm stranded wires or soldering points. For each piezo element, different wires according to the AWG standard are used. External soldering guides are used for the parallel operation of all layers.
Optionally the piezo actuators can be fitted with sensors to measure displacement. They are then suited for repeatable positioning with nanometer precision. For overheating protection, the actuators can be equipped with temperature sensors.
For mechanical coupling of the actuators, specific end pieces (tips and bases) can be mounted. Possible designs are low-profile or spherical end pieces made of metal, ceramics, glass or sapphire. Application-specific end pieces can be manufactured on request.
Stack actuators have proven their high reliability in applications for the semiconductor industry and medical engineering. PI Ceramic offers the following standard products:
>> Bending elements can be constructed from piezo disks and plates within certain manufacturing limits. Constructed in series or parallel, they can be manufactured both in round and rectangular shape.
Integrated Assemblies and Value-Added Designs
Integration of piezo ceramics into customer products can be quite complex. PI Ceramic therefore also offers complete solutions, which can be integrated directly into the customer application. This includes both the individual electrical contacting of the elements, as well as gluing or casting the provided mechanical parts. The accelerated manufacturing process and the shortened delivery times are thus a true added value for the customer.
The final assembly of these so-called subassemblies is performed under clean room conditions. Sensor components, actuators and actuator modules are also manufactured at short notice at PI Ceramic for customized medium and small series.
The state-of-the-art manufacturing processes allow a safe and cost-efficient transfer to large series. In addition to supplying components, PI Ceramic can, upon request, take on the mounting and procurement processes.
Actuator Modules for Piezomotors
Piezo ceramics by PI Ceramic are the drive elements for the piezomotors of Physik Instrumente (PI). The piezomotors allow using the features of piezo actuators for longer travel ranges. The patented >> PiezoWalk® Stepping Drives with their complex design consisting of longitudinal, shear and bender elements and corresponding contacts, are manufactured entirely at PI Ceramic.
Component or Integrated Assembly?
Find out more about the integration of piezo elements into customer products: PI Ceramic as your reliable partner with technological know-how at the highest standard:
Special Electrical Connections and Soldering Techniques
Connectors for piezo amplifiers can be connected according to customer requirements. Assembly of the components with printed circuit boards or flexboards is also possible. Ready-made piezo components with connecting wires are manufactured by specially trained staff using manual soldering processes. We have the latest automatic soldering machines at our disposal to solder on miniaturized components and for larger production runs.
- PI Store